Know What To Do If You Are In An Accident
A motor vehicle accident can be traumatic, and you may feel confused and anxious about what to do next. At Tarry Law Firm, L.L.C., in Cape Girardeau, Missouri, we want to make sure that if you are ever involved in an accident, you know the recommended steps to take for your health and your future well-being.
Your actions in the moments following a car accident can make a difference in your recovery as well as your preparation for any financial claim or legal action that may follow. Here are steps you can take immediately after the accident.
- Stay safe: Remain in your vehicle and move it out of the way of traffic, if possible.
- Call for help: Dial 911 to activate an emergency response team. If you are injured, try to keep from moving unnecessarily.
- Document the scene: As much as you are able, take many pictures of your vehicle, the other driver’s car, the surrounding area and other property damage. Gather the names and contact information of any witnesses.
- Exchange information: With minimal conversation, trade names, contact information, vehicle details, driver’s license numbers and insurance information with the other driver.
- Get medical attention: Allow emergency medical technicians to tend to your injuries. Even if you think your injuries are minor, see a doctor for a complete examination. The stress of the accident may mask symptoms of serious injuries.
- Contact an attorney: The advice of a lawyer at the earliest possible moments following an accident can improve your chances of obtaining the compensation you need for the best chances of recovery from your injuries.
You may be tempted to blurt out an apology or other words that someone may interpret as an admission of fault. It is best to avoid talking about the accident or sharing details on social media.
Why Do I Need An Attorney?
While you are recovering from your injury, you may not have the time or energy to haggle with insurance companies or gather evidence for a civil case. You may also have questions about the legal process or how to determine a fair amount of compensation for your circumstances.
Our law firm has a reputation for representing residents of Cape Girardeau with compassion and determination. Let us take care of these and other aspects of your claim so you can focus on getting well. Our online form is available for your convenience, or you can call us at 573-290-2604 to schedule a free consultation.